Cambridge high school place under hold and secure by Waterloo Regional Police

A Cambridge high school was briefly placed under a hold and secure by Waterloo Regional Police on Thursday morning.

Police announced on Twitter that Jacob Hespeler Secondary School had been placed under a hold and secure at 10:30 a.m. but within 30 minutes, it had been lifted.

Read more:
Ammo found in car abandoned after hit and run in Cambridge: Waterloo police

They said the move was made as a “safety precaution” as police conducted an investigation on Holiday Inn Drive.

Police say there is no concern for public safety.

Read more:
Cambridge pair arrested in connection with drug overdose death of 1-year-old boy

They also said they would provide more information as it becomes available.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Peterborough man charged with impaired driving after head-on collision south of Lakefield: OPP

One person was sent to hospital following a two vehicle head-on collision on Lakefield Road on Wednesday afternoon. The collision led to an impaired driving charge for a Peterborough man.

A Peterborough man has been charged with impaired driving following a head-on collision south of Lakefield on Wednesday afternoon.

Peterborough County OPP officers around 4 p.m. responded to a traffic complaint about a suspected impaired driver on the 7th Line in Selwyn Township.

Police say a short time later the suspect vehicle was involved in a head-on collision on County Road 29 (Lakefield Road) and County Road 23 (Buckhorn Road) involving an SUV and a minivan.

Read more:
Vehicle stopped at Bridgenorth intersection leads to impaired driving arrest, Peterborough County OPP say

Paramedics treated one driver at the scene before taking them to hospital for further treatment for minor injuries, OPP said.

One of the drivers was determined to be under the influence of alcohol.

Gary Livingston, 71, of Peterborough, was arrested and charged with two counts of impaired driving (alcohol, blood-alcohol concentration 80-plus).

His driver’s licence was suspended for 90 days and the vehicle was impounded for seven days.

He was released and is scheduled to appear in court in Peterborough on Dec. 1, OPP said.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Shopify says 'extreme' levels of pandemic-fuelled online shopping are easing

Shopify Inc. is starting to see the intense levels of online sales companies garnered during the COVID-19 pandemic ease.

“As the world begins to return to some normalcy and the extreme levels of online shopping over the past year make way for more in-person retail and experiences, e-commerce’s share of overall retail has reset lower than the peak last year,” said Amy Shapero on a conference call Thursday with financial analysts to discuss the company’s latest results.

Despite the downward trend, the chief financial officer of the Ottawa-based technology company said Shopify found e-commerce’s portion of the retail market was still higher than it was two years ago and is poised to resume a more normalized rate of growth for the long-term.

Read more:
Canadian tech giant Shopify hits $1B in quarterly revenue as in-person retail returns at higher levels

Shapero’s remarks come as many Canadian provinces and territories have loosened pandemic restrictions and allowed for restaurants and entertainment venues to raise their capacity limits.

Analysts and the retail industry have watched the ease up closely to develop a sense of whether consumer spending patterns and levels will return to pre-pandemic norms and whether e-commerce will keep up the flurried pace that materialized when some stores were temporarily closed.

Shopify’s online sales software perfectly positioned the company to benefit from the move toward e-commerce, but also made the firm among those most likely to detect retail changes early and be impacted by shifts back to brick-and-mortar.

In recent months, people started moving around more often and were spending on services, recreation, entertainment and shopping in stores because vaccination was so widespread, Shapero said.

“As a result, in July, we saw overall retail actually dip, and that was because e-commerce dips as folks were moving about,” she said.

“But then we saw a rebound in August for e-commerce…which is attributed to people going back to physical workspaces and kids returning to in-person learning, and then we saw another uptick from August to September.”

Shopify recorded a third-quarter profit of nearly US$1.15 billion, boosted by an unrealized gain on its equity investments, as its revenue rose 46 per cent from a year ago.

The company, which keeps its books in U.S. dollars, said the profit amounted to US$9 per diluted share for the quarter ended Sept. 30 that included a US$1.34-billion unrealized gain on equity investments. The result compared with a profit of US$191.1 million or US$1.54 per diluted share in the same quarter last year.

On an adjusted basis, Shopify said it earned US$102.8 million or 81 cents per diluted share in its latest quarter, down from an adjusted profit of US$140.8 million or US$1.13 per diluted share a year ago.

Read more:
Shopify revenue jumps 110% amid pandemic-driven online sales boom

Revenue in the quarter totalled US$1.12 billion, up from US$767.4 million a year ago, as subscription solutions revenue rose to $336.2 million compared with US$245.3 million a year ago and merchant solutions revenue climbed to US$787.5 million compared with US$522.1 million in the same quarter last year.

Shopify president Harley Finkelstein boasted Thursday the company added several key new customers including Muji, L’Occitane, Spanx, Dockers and actress Jennifer Aniston’s new Lolavie beauty care line.

But analysts are worried about the company’s ability to hold onto less prominent clients.

“We believe that unit churn is high within the business due to the small and medium-sized business nature of the customer base,” RBC’s analysts wrote in a recent note.

“As the base grows, merchant growth will be harder to sustain given the churn effect on the base.”

© 2021 The Canadian Press

New Simcoe Island ferry to be built at Hamilton shipyard

The government of Ontario announced a big investment in a small island near Kingston on Thursday.

The Ministry of Transportation will be giving Frontenac County $3.3. million for a new ferry for Simcoe Island.

The ferry will be built at Heddle Shipyards in Hamilton, and will bring with it 24 local jobs during construction, according to a news release from the MTO.

Read more:
New electric ferries slated for Kingston region are on their way to Picton Terminals this week

The ferry is expected to be in service by late 2022 and will allow for up to three times more vehicles than the current ferry.

The vessel will also be able to carry larger service vehicles, such as fire trucks and vehicles required for maintaining roads and infrastructure.

The current Simcoe Island ferry was first launched in 1963 and is cable operated. It runs from Simcoe Island to Wolfe Island in the spring, summer and autumn. The

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Nova Scotia reports 31 new cases of COVID-19, active total above 170

Emergency room closures in Nova Scotia continue to be driven by a nurse and doctor shortage, and it’s expected to get worse before it gets better. Jesse Thomas has more.

Nova Scotia reported 31 new cases of COVID-19 on Thursday and five new recoveries.

In a release, the province said 17 cases are in the Central Zone, eight are in the Western Zone, three are in the Eastern Zone and three are in the Northern Zone.

There are now 171 active cases of COVID-19. Of those, 10 people are in hospital, one of whom is in ICU.

Read more:
Nova Scotia reports 26 new cases of COVID-19, mostly in Central Zone

Nova Scotia Health labs completed 2,853 tests on Wednesday.

According to the provincial COVID-19 dashboard, 83.2 per cent of Nova Scotia have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine and 78.2 per cent are fully vaccinated.

On Wednesday, another school — Rocky Lake Elementary in Bedford — was notified of an exposure. A full list of schools with exposures can be found here.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

London, Ont. police officer responding to break-in fatally shoots man: SIU

The Special Investigations Unit says it is investigating after a man was fatally shot by an officer with the London Police Service.

According to the SIU, officers were called to a break and enter at St. George Street and Mill Street in London, Ont., just before 4 a.m. Thursday.

Read more:
Ontario police cruiser hit man near Merivale Mall, prompting watchdog probe

“An officer saw one of the men in an alley on Richmond Street. There was an interaction and an officer discharged his firearm at the man,” the SIU said in a statement.

“The man was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead at 4:24 a.m.”

London Police Service Chief Steve Williams said in a statement that the incident involved “an interaction between a citizen and two of our officers” and that “during the interaction, a police firearm was discharged and a citizen was transported to hospital” where they later died.

One of the officers was also injured, he added, and was treated and released from hospital.

Read more:
SIU investigating after woman suffers serious injuries in ‘interaction’ with Hamilton police

Williams added that the force is committed to being “as transparent as possible with the public,” but once the SIU is involved, the service is “prevented, by legislation, from discussing details of the matter.”

“On behalf of the women and men of the London Police Service, I wish to extend my sympathies to the loved ones of the deceased. We ask for your patience as the investigation unfolds.”

The SIU reports that an autopsy is scheduled for Friday and that four investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to the case.

Anyone with information about the investigation is asked by the SIU to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Ammo found in car abandoned after hit and run in Cambridge: Waterloo police

Waterloo Regional Police say they found ammunition in a car that they suspect was involved in a hit-and-run collision in Cambridge on Wednesday morning.

The collision was reported at around 7:40 a.m. Wednesday at Pollock Avenue and Oak Street, police say.

Read more:
Cambridge pair arrested in connection with drug overdose death of 1-year-old boy

They say a vehicle rammed into a parked car before it quickly sped away from the scene in the Galt area.

The car was found a short time later around Franklin Boulevard.

Read more:
Man taken to hospital after multi-vehicle collision in Cambridge

Police searched the vehicle and say they found ammunition inside.

They are asking anyone with information to call 519-570-9777 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Kelowna care home continues to see COVID-19 deaths

Two more people who picked up COVID-19 at a Kelowna long-term care home have died.

Interior Health reported Wednesday that the death toll related to the COVID-19 outbreak at Cottonwoods Care Centre in Kelowna rose to 17 . Since the outbreak was reported in early August, there have been 70 cases among 55 residents and 15 staff. It’s been the most long-standing outbreak in the Okanagan, to date, though it’s not the only one.

Village by the Station long-term care in Penticton has 41 cases among 27 residents and 14 staff, with three deaths connected to the outbreak. Also, Haven Hill Care Centre long-term care in Penticton has 12 cases among10 residents and two staff and one death connected to the outbreak.

Expected to help the outbreak situation in long term care and all health facilities is mandated vaccinations, which came into effect this week, reducing staff levels across the board.

Long-term care and assisted living employees who were not vaccinated as of  Oct. 12 were put on two weeks unpaid leave. If they didn’t get their vaccine by Oct. 26, they were terminated.

Also this week were vaccine mandates for all other health care workers, which has now seven per cent fewer people working in health care throughout the Southern Interior.

The COVID-19 vaccination requirement for B.C. health-care workers, excluding long-term care and assisted living employees, kicked in this week, meaning thousands who chose not to vaccinate had to leave their jobs.

Health Minister Adrian Dix said in a Tuesday press conference that across the province there are 126,343 health-care workers and of them, 119,627 are fully vaccinated and another 2,626 are partially vaccinated. Only 4,090 have chosen to not get vaccinated at all.

The highest proportion of these workers reside within Interior Health, which had 1,369 or seven per cent of employees who were unvaccinated as of Tuesday’s deadline. Other health authorities had between two and five per cent of their workforce go on leave with the policy shift.

This is happening at a time when Interior Health is facing the “extraordinary challenge” of being at 100 per cent of its “base bed capacity” within hospitals.

“Obviously, health authorities are taking steps to, across B.C., to deal with the challenges presented by this,” Dix said of the employee shortfall.

Efforts are underway to transfer some health-care workers to Interior Health and to hire new employees, he said.

Dix said, however, the reduction in staffing will challenge the delivery of some medical services, particularly diagnostic imaging and lab work, and some surgical procedures, though, to date, IH has not had to reschedule surgeries.

“This was, as I say, a necessary step and an important one. We’re also solemn today because we know the implications for people. And we know why this is a necessary step to protect people in our health-care system.”

 

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Ontario doctor's licence suspended after already being barred from issuing COVID-19 medical exemptions

WATCH: Ford says it's up to College of Physicians and Surgeons to 'police' doctors giving vaccine exemptions

An Ontario doctor who was previously barred from issuing COVID-19 medical exemptions has now had her licence suspended.

Dr. Rochagne Kilian had her certificate of registration suspended effective Wednesday, according to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO).

CPSO spokesperson Shane Greenfield told Global News the “interim order was made under the Health Professions Procedural Code of the Regulated Health Professions Act, which permits the College to issue interim orders where it has evidence to support that patients would otherwise be exposed to risk of harm or injury.”

Read more:
Two Ontario doctors barred from issuing medical exemptions for COVID vaccine, masks, testing

Greenfield said the college is limited in what it can disclose at this time but that more information about Kilian’s “conduct will be made available at the earliest possible opportunity.

“That may include allegations referred to the Ontario Physicians and Surgeons Discipline Tribunal. Members also have the opportunity to appeal interim orders to the courts, at which point the College would present information in support of its decision,” he continued.

Kilian has the right to appeal the decision.

Earlier in October, Kilian and Dr. Mark Trozzi were barred from issuing medical exemptions for COVID-19 vaccines, masking requirements and testing.

The college’s public records list Kilian as a family doctor in Owen Sound.

With files from The Canadian Press

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Man armed with knife demanded drugs from Guelph business, police say

Guelph police say a man is facing charges after someone walked into a business armed with a knife on Wednesday afternoon and demanded drugs.

Officers were called to the area of Willow Road and Silvercreek Parkway at around 4 p.m. for reports of a robbery in progress.

Read more:
Man accused of swinging hockey stick at employees of Guelph business, police say

In a news release, police said the man entered the business with a knife held in the air while yelling that he wanted narcotics.

The man ran out before officers arrived and was seen running toward another business. But police found him lying face down in some bushes.

Police added that a knife was later found close to where the suspect was hiding.

No product was reported stolen and no one was injured.

Police did not identify the business in question but there are two pharmacies in that immediate area.

A 24-year-old man has been charged with robbery with a weapon and breaching probation. He remains in custody, pending a bail hearing scheduled for Thursday.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

You May Also Like

Top Stories