In a pre-taped Today interview that aired Monday, Wright claimed that she “didn’t know” Spacey as well as people think she did. She also said she has had zero contact with the two-time Oscar winner.
“I haven’t heard from him and I don’t even know how to reach him,” she said. “Kevin and I knew each other between action and cut, and in between setups where we would giggle. I didn’t really — I didn’t know the man. I knew the incredible craftsman that he is.”
READ MORE: Anthony Bourdain leaves majority of $1.2M estate to daughter
“We were coworkers, really,” she continued. “We never socialized outside of work. respectful, professional relationship. He was so great with me. He was never disrespectful to me, so that’s my personal experience. That’s the only thing I feel that I have the right to talk about.”
When the allegations against Spacey surfaced, she was taken by surprise, she said.
In the fall of last year, Star Trek: Discovery actor Anthony Rapp — who appeared on Broadway alongside Spacey when he was a teenager — alleged that Spacey, then 26, “was trying to get with me sexually” during a party, when Rapp was only 14.
Rapp’s story led to numerous other accusers coming forward, which resulted in Netflix declaring that the streaming service will “not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey.”
In addition, Spacey’s already-filmed scenes in the Ridley Scott-directed All the Money in the World were reshot, with Christopher Plummer taking over the role.
“I think we were all surprised, of course, and ultimately saddened. We forged ahead and we were so thankful that we were able to complete the series as planned,” Wright said on Today.
House of Cards will stream its eight-episode sixth and final season in late 2018, and Wright is at peace with the groundbreaking political drama coming to an end.
“I think, at that time, the shock was so intense all over the nation for many reasons, many stories, many people,” she said. “I think that everybody felt that it was respectful to back off.”
Spacey has issued no public comments aside from a lengthy tweet responding to Rapp’s allegations, coming out as openly gay and claiming to be “beyond horrified to hear his story.”
In mid-November 2017, Spacey entered a specialized treatment facility after a rep for the actor issued a statement indicating that he would be “taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment.”
It is not known where he’s currently residing or what his career plans are. It’s estimated that the actor cost Netflix approximately US$39 million by being absent from two projects.
(You can watch a segment of the ‘Today’ interview in the video, top.)Follow @CJancelewicz
© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.