WARNING: This information may make you regret reading this…
It’s time to look at some stats but more so a sobering look in the mirror at your own social media habits.
In college I read at least 5-10 books per year if not a few more. Now not nearly as many.
Enter the internet and social media and there are many hours spent there.
Let’s crunch some numbers(American numbers but still should apply here):
- The average American reads 200–400 words per minute (Since you’re on Medium, I’m going to assume you read 400 wpm like me)
- Typical non-fiction books have ~50,000 words
- 200 books * 50,000 words/book = 10 million words
- 10 million words/400 wpm = 25,000 minutes
- 25,000 minutes/60 = 417 hours
Conclusion: To read 200 books, simply spend 417 hours a year reading.
That’s a lot of hours yes…BUT…wait until you see the time spent on social media and television…
A single American spends on social media and TV in a year:
- 608 hours on social media
- 1642 hours on TV
That’s 2250 hours a year!
You can read those books and still spend time on your hand held or tablet and sit in front of the television.
So which book will you read first? Then only 199 more to go.
To see the original article click here.
© 2019 Corus Radio, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.